The Whole Child’s Family Housing team is actively recruiting for a Housing Case Manager/Employment Retention Specialist.
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE: The primary purpose of the Case Manager/Employment Retention Specialist is to assist families in achieving transitional housing and access medical, educational, social, prevocational, rehabilitative, employment or other needed community services for eligible clients and families who have become homeless. Targeted population includes children (Birth to age 18) and their families who are at risk of becoming homeless or are currently homeless utilizing a Community Based Scattered Site Model. The Community Based Scattered Site Model is designed to maximize family independence, minimize family disruption, and result in stronger, more viable housing permanency outcomes.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY: Case Manager/Employment Retention Specialist provides an array of services in support of the Family Housing Program’s goal of promoting children’s emotional well-being. The Case Manager/Employment Retention Specialist’s intensive home based services ensure that families are activity engaged in the various resources/services provided( i.e., mental health, health care, job training/coaching, Occupational Therapy, Nutrition, etc.) The home visits are focused on building healthy relationships and promoting positive family environments to end homelessness. The case manager promotes a strengths based approach to service that empowers families, supports a community based philosophy of service, and ensures that all services are aligned with the agency’s mission, vision, and core values.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Conducts comprehensive needs assessments with families and assists them in obtaining needed resources such as health insurance, housing, and low cost child care through referral and linkage.
- Provides individual and group rehabilitation services under LAHSA, EVERYCHILD, CDC, HUD, DPSS, FIRST 5 LA, other contracts, and city contracts.
- Completes and submits progress notes in a 24 hour timeframe utilizing the agency’s electronic health record system (HMIS).
- Provides guidance and assistance to parents/caretakers on managing child’s behaviors successfully.
- Provides guidance and assistance to parents/caretakers on managing familial stressors effectively and successfully.
- Assists family with identifying internal and external resources to assist with multiple stressors as it relates to homelessness, domestic violence, substance abuse issues, etc.
- Develops and provide client rehabilitation services which assist in improving, maintaining, or restoring daily functioning at home, school, and community in accordance with treatment goals and in collaboration with treatment team (i.e., therapist, psychiatrist).
- Provides interagency and intra-agency consultation, communication, coordination and referrals.
- Identifies and communicates to therapist obstacles preventing families from connecting with program and/or referral services.
- Employment services (resume writing, job searching tips, etc.)
- Attends community meetings as requested by Housing Manager to present on housing services, referral process and eligibility criteria.
- Represents the agency at community resource fairs.
- Follows up with families to ensure successful placement and housing permanency for six months.
- Provides services in the community including home and school settings.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Bachelor’s degree in social work or other mental health related discipline.
- Minimum of 4 years of work experience related to providing case management or rehabilitative services in a mental health setting.
- Valid California driver’s license and valid auto insurance.
WHAT WE OFFER:
A competitive salary and an above average benefits package:
- Medical* plan choice of HMO plans or PPO plan
- Dental* plan choice of HMO or PPO
- Vision Plan
- 401K – $ for $ match up to 4%
- Supplemental Insurances
- Life Insurance
- Pet Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- 12 Holidays
- PTO of 15 days per year that increases per policy
*HMO plans are at no cost to the employee
The Whole Child is an equal employment opportunity employer and no candidate for employment will be rejected on account of race, color, religion, national origin, age, marital status, or sex. Candidates with physical impairments will be considered so long as it can be reasonably demonstrated that the duties and responsibilities can be effectively performed without hazard to the individual, fellow employees, or clientele.